Swiping for matches, creating profiles, choosing locations, and prioritizing safety—there’s a lot of work that goes into online dating. The list of dos and don’ts for dating apps can seem daunting, but there are a few tips that are helpful for all users.
Safety first. This is the obligatory reminder to be safe, don’t give out too much personal information, keep texting in-app until you know the person a little better, do let a friend know where you are going for your date, and be firm in expressing what you are and aren’t comfortable with. Now, with the important cautions aside, it’s time to find your perfect date!
- DO be informative and honest. When filling out your dating profile, share what your interests are and what you’re looking for in a partner. Don’t be vague. Likewise, when browsing potential matches, look for people who complement your interests, lifestyle, and goals. It’s okay to be selfish in your search.
- DO keep the conversation going. With all the information available from the initial profile, starting and continuing conversations should be easy. When someone asks a question, answer it and then ask a question in return. This keeps the conversation flowing.
- But DON’T keep chatting if you’re not interested. If the online dialogue stalls or never progresses to a real-life date, it’s okay to move on to someone else. Dating apps are for dating, not for pen pals. If you don’t have a connection or if there isn’t an organic progression to the dialogue, don’t waste too much time trying to make it happen.
- DO be consistent. For safety purposes, it’s important to keep all conversation in-app until you decide to meet in person. However, that means you must sign into the app consistently to continue the conversation—you could even pick specific timeframes for communicating so the app doesn’t become a time waster.
- DO have fun. Online dating allows you to be your authentic self. Be openminded, be ready to move on when things don’t work, and have fun in the process!
Image via Pixabay.